Hair loss does not only affect your physical appearance, but your mental health as well as it often causes a lot of stress and sometimes, even depression to the sufferer. Hair transplant is not just about your hair, it rather impacts your overall well being. Our team of experts at Dr. Saraswat’s Skin and Hair Clinics in Mumbai ensure that you not only get your hair back, but your inner peace as well.
Body Hair Transplant (BHT) is another hair restoration technique that is frequently being used these days. The procedure involves transplanting hair from any part of the body to the scalp. It simply means that hairs can be taken from chest, beard and even legs for the transplantation. However, in order to apply BHT, a person should have sufficient hairs on at least one of these body regions.
Normally, a person has about one million hairs on his body. If a person is suffering from severe baldness, he will not have enough hairs on the back of his scalp required for transplantation (only 12,500 hairs out of permanent 25,000 can be transplanted). In this case, the only way out is the use of BHT.
Body Hair Transplant is done using Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) technique. Patients who have abundance of hair on chin, chest, back or legs are the suitable candidates for BHT.
Donor sites (areas from where hairs can be extracted) for BHT include beard, chest, pubic areas, legs, back, under arms.
BHT has the following advantages:
- It is helpful in giving hair line a natural look by using thin and soft body hairs.
- It is used to hide the widened strip scars caused on donor area due to removal of hairs for a previous transplantation.
- Body hairs serve as an ideal filler for increasing the density of scalp hair.
- BHT is useful in increasing the density of hair on the scalp in cases where donor area is very thin.
However, like any other medical procedure, BHT too has certain limitations, such as:
- Hair transplanted using BHT appear slightly different from the ones growing on the scalp.
- An extensive donor area needs to be anesthetized for the procedure.
- It is a tiresome and long procedure because of various exit angles of hair.
- The transplanted hairs take more time to grow.
- There are chances of hypopigmentation or hyperpigmentation at the donor site.